This bazaar was first built by Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror and was expanded during the reign of Sultan Suleyman the Great (1520-1566), and reached its present form in 1701. It extends over 65 streets, covering an area of 30.702 square meters. It contains a mosque, 21 inns, two vaulted bazaars, seven fountains, a well and 3300 shops. It possesses 18 gates, eight of them large, ten of them smaller. It has survived five fires, and has been restored and repaired and has reached our present times.