The Dominican priests had to move to this place down the Galata Tower owing to the fact that their original church (Arab Mosque) was converted to mosque. The current building, remaining from 1841, was made by the Fossati brothers, the Italian-Swedish originated architects who also worked for the restoration of Haghia Sophia. The most important property of the building is the icon of Hodegetria (The Guiding Virgin Mary), the protector of Byzantium in a silver bowl. Behind the church are a beautiful annexe and a monastery again in Italian style. The church was built in basilica style with its four sided altar. The sky blue dome above the chorus stage was decorated with golden gildings.